Nurturing ACSians to be informed, concerned and participative citizens of Singapore.
Social Studies (SS) aims to help students to grow in knowledge, develop skills and learn values through examining issues that are of concern to our society and the world in which we live.
It seeks to ignite students’ curiosity to inquire into real-world issues that concern their lives. Through inquiry and authentic learning experiences, Social Studies helps students to attain relevant knowledge and understanding about these issues, develop critical and reflective thinking skills, and appreciate multiple perspectives.
In ACS(P), we prepare our students to be effective citizens by helping them to better understand the interconnectedness of Singapore and the world they live in, and appreciate the complexities of the human experience.
Curriculum as informed citizens, ACSians will:
- understand the rights and responsibilities of citizens and the role of the government in society;
- understand their identity as Singaporeans, with a regional and global outlook;
- understand the Singapore perspective on key national, regional and global issues;
- analyse and negotiate complex issues through evaluating multiple sources with different perspectives; and
- arrive at well-reasoned, responsible decisions through reflective thought and discernment.
As concerned citizens, ACSians will:
- have a sense of belonging to the nation, appreciate and be committed to building social cohesion in a diverse society;
- be motivated to engage in issues of societal concern; and
- reflect on the ethical considerations and consequences of decision making.
As participative citizens, ACSians will:
- take responsible personal and collective actions to effect change for the good of society; and
- be resilient in addressing concerns of society in spite of challenges faced.
Through Social Studies, we hope to inculcate in ACSians a deeper understanding of the values that define the Singapore society, nurture dispositions that will inspire them to show concern for the society and the world in which they live, and demonstrate empathy in their relationships with others.
Learning Journeys are part of National Education and ACS(P) plans them for our students to support and complement the curriculum. Learning Journeys are the experiential and multi-disciplinary learning trips that students make to make learning from the texts come alive for them so that they have a greater appreciation of Singapore’s history, culture and uniqueness.
Learning Journeys in 2023:
Primary 1 – Discovering Self and Immediate Environment
Knowing Myself, Others and My Surroundings
- Learning Journey to Whampoa Neighbourhood
Primary 2 – Discovering Self and Immediate Environment
Coming Together as a Nation
*Learning Journey to Toa Payoh Town Centre
Primary 3 – Understanding Singapore in the Past and Present
Understanding Singapore’s Environment and Challenges
*Learning Journey to Kok Fah Technology Farm
Primary 4 – Understanding Singapore in the Past and Present
Understanding Our Past
*Cohort Learning Journey to the Kreta Ayer Heritage Gallery
*Cohort Learning Journey to the Geylang Serai Heritage Gallery
Primary 5 – Appreciating Singapore, the Region and the World We Live In
Part 1: Understanding Singapore’s Development as a Nation
Part 2: Understanding Southeast Asia’s Diversity and Interconnectedness
*Cohort Learning Journey to the Indian Heritage Centre
Primary 6 – Appreciating Singapore, the Region and the World We Live In
Understanding Features and Legacies of Civilisations
*Cohort Learning Journey to the Asian Civilisations Museum (ACM)